5 cloves of garlic
2 white onions
2tbsp maple syrup or honey
1.5l of vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Wash the parsnips, chop into 2cm chunks and scatter in a roasting pan. Add the garlic cloves, no need to peel. Drizzle over some olive oil, the rosemary and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Stir to coat and then put in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
3. While the parsnips are roasting, thinly slice the onions, add to a pan with some olive oil and cook over a low heat until softened and slightly caramelised.
4. Take the parsnips out of the oven. Using the back of a spoon, press the garlic cloves against the bottom of the pan to squeeze to filling out of the peel. Remove the peel from the pan, pour the maple syrup or honey over and stir to coat the parsnips with the syrup and garlic.
5. Add the roast parsnips to the pan with the onion and pour over the vegetable stock. Whiz until smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor. Add more water if you want a thinner consistency. Squeeze in the juice of the lemon and season with salt and pepper.