1 brown onion
2 garlic cloves
600g carrots, washed and grated
150g split red lentils
1l of vegetable stock
125ml milk (dairy or dairy free alternative for vegan)
Pinch of chilli flakes
2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
Plain yoghurt and naan breads to serve
1. Heat a large frying pan and dry fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes until they release their lovely aromas and start to jump in the pan. Scoop out about half of them and set aside.
2. Add the olive oil to the pan with the chopped onion and garlic. Cook on a medium/low heat until translucent.
3. Add the grated carrot, lentils, stock and milk and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 – 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
4. Whizz until smooth with a stick blender or in a food processor (or leave chunky if you prefer).
5. Serve into bowls, sprinkle over some of the remaining spices and add a dollop of plain yoghurt. Serve with warm naan breads.