Are you looking for the perfect gift for your eco-conscious friend or family member who is always doing their part to save the planet? If they’re someone who’s passionate about recycling and reducing waste, then look no further! In this blog post, we’ve put together a list of unique and thoughtful gift ideas that will make any avid recycler jump with joy. We have everything you need to surprise your green warrior loved one with something useful and environmentally friendly. So keep reading to find out what gifts are sure to be a hit with your favourite eco-friendly enthusiast!
Introduction to Global Recycling Day
Global Recycling Day falls on March 18th annually and is a day to celebrate recycling and all of its benefits. This year, why not buy the avid recycler in your life a gift that will help them reduce their environmental impact even further? Scroll down the blog do check out some of our fab ideas!
Reasons Why Recycling Matters
1. Recycling conserves natural resources: Every time you recycle, you’re helping to conserve the world’s limited supply of natural resources, like forests, water, and minerals.
2. Recycling reduces pollution: Recycling helps reduce pollution by keeping waste out of landfills and incinerators. Burning trash creates air pollution, while burying it in landfills can contaminate groundwater.
3. Recycling saves energy: Making new products from recycled materials requires less energy than making them from scratch. That means fewer greenhouse gas emissions and less strain on our limited energy resources.
4. Recycling supports jobs: recycling is big business in the U.S., employing over 1 million people and generating $236 billion in annual sales.
5. Recycling protects wildlife: By recycling, you can help reduce the amount of paper and wood products that are sourced from forests, which are vital habitats for many species of animals.
Types of Items that Can Be Recycled Here At Fair Trader
The opportunities we have to be greener and help our community to do so as well is all made possible through our wonderful volunteers.
- Aluminium foil – Pop into our shop to drop off any (clean) aluminium for recycling. This ranges from milk bottle tops to a roasting tin. Our Aluminium is collected and taken to JB Schofield & Sons Ltd, a scrap metal recycling centre in Linthwaite. Recycled aluminium foil takes 95% less energy to make than the brand new material! We can reduce the environmental footprint of foil manufacturing by recycling it over and over again.
- Pill packets – Unfortunately, blister pill packets can not be recycled via traditional means as the costs incurred due to separating and processing are too high for councils. This means that a lot of these end up in landfill, incineration or oceans and waterways. But, good news, you can bring your blister pill packets to our shop where Judy (one of our lovely volunteers) takes them to Superdrug to be properly sorted and recycled.
- Ink Cartridges – You should never throw ink cartridges in the bin along with other waste. Even if the cartridge is empty it could still contain harmful ink which could leak into soil. Also the plastics used in ink toner cartridges are not biodegradable and could be in landfill for up to 1000 years before they decompose. Next time you are coming for a browse in store, bring your empty ink cartridges along. We work with Stinky Ink who either reuse the cartridges or break them down into raw materials.
- Cork – We are in the process of communication with our supplier, Liga, to start a recycling scheme for cork. With endless opportunities of ways to repurpose cork, the more we can gather, the more wonderful recycled products we can bring to our Fair Traders!
Tips For Recycling At Home
- Remind everyone in your household to recycle, keep a recycling bag, box, or bin next to your rubbish bin.
- If you flatten cardboard boxes, you can fit more into your recycling bin or box.
- Remember to recycle all plastic bottles, including those from shampoo and mouthwash. Check the label on the bottle to see if it’s recyclable, or consult your local council’s website for guidance.
- Don’t limit yourself to just newspapers for paper and cardboard recycling. Envelopes, wrapping paper, birthday cards (without glitter), phone books, toilet roll tubes, and drinks cartons are all recyclable.
- Most metals can be recycled, including aerosols, kitchen foil, tins, and cans.
- Keep a carrier bag in your hallway for collecting junk mail and adding it to your recycling.
- Make a habit of going to a recycling point on your way to work or the supermarket.
- When in doubt about what you can recycle, check your local council’s website for advice and information.
Gift Ideas for the Avid Recycler
If you know someone who loves to recycle, chances are they also love eco-friendly and sustainable gifts. Here are some great gift ideas for the avid recycler in your life:
- A reusable water bottle or coffee mug. Help them reduce their reliance on disposable plastics with a reusable water bottle or coffee mug. There are plenty of great eco-friendly options out there made from materials like stainless steel, glass, or bamboo.
Shop the Circular&Co 8oz Reusable Coffee Mug, made from recycled coffee cups. It is 100% recyclable and has 360-degree drinking. Click on the image below to read more about this product.
Check out the 4 colour-ways of the Onegreenbottle Stainless Steel Insulated Bottle that we stock at Fair Trader. This 500ml bottle is vacuum protected, providing great insulation.
- Great quality bags. Another way to help reduce plastic waste is by gifting a bag that will last a lifetime. What’s more, a big that is made from recycled materials!
Take a look at the Lefrik’s bags on our site. These backpacks use recycled polyester from PET-bottles and recycled polyester for the inside too.
- Or just something gorgeous for their home. The range of products that can be made from recycled materials and in an eco friendly manner is huge! Don’t limit yourself to a specific product range when shopping for gifts that do not harm the environment. There is an eco friendly alternate to almost everything.
Like… This Namaste Taara Recycled Cotton Throw. Made from recycled materials, this ethical product features an attractive hand-woven pattern and generous neutral fringing. Namaste supports ethically made Fair Trade products, created with the least possible environmental impact. All goods are carefully sourced from eco-friendly, naturally sustainable and recycled materials wherever possible.
Or, these amazing recycled glass bead necklaces. We have the Fire Glass Bead Simple Necklace from Just Trade or the AURA QUE JANGALI Pattern Recycled Painted Glass Bead Necklace (which also has a matching bracelet which can too be found on our site or in store.)
By gifting eco-friendly products, you are showing your support for a sustainable future and encouraging others to make more eco-conscious choices. But most importantly, on this Global Recycling Day, lets get outside, breath some fresh air and remember to take care of our environment and our bodies.